The objectives of the establishment of the zonal offices is specifically aimed at bringing our operations to the grassroots liaising with the different stakeholders in education in the implementation of mandates of the Council in the states; working harmoniously with stakeholders in education through collaborative efforts with Ministry of Education.
The zonal offices carryout the following functions:
- Encourage, promote, coordinate and carryout educational research programmes within the Zone, in partnership with appropriate centres.
- Marketing and dissemination of all Councils publications.
- Compile publications of results of educational research within the zone as may be directed, and popularizing such results where their general recognition in the Council opinion is of a national importance.
- Promote the establishment of readership club within the zone.
- Liaise with Ministries of Education, SUBEB, ERC, and other relevant agencies within the zone to promote educational research and development.
- Promote and solicit capacity building programmes from the states.
- Collaborate with states in implementing capacity building programme for improving educational quality in areas that include:
- Curriculum adaptation and use;
- instructional materials development;
- research skills for educational development;
- language development and application;
- strategic educational skills;
- e-resources for educational development;
- emerging issues on educational development;
- budding authors and creative writers workshop; and
- zonal academic workplan to be considered with the workplan of the main stream academic centres at the Headquarters.
- Carryout advocacy and sensitization activities on NERDC mandates within the Zone.
- Service workshop that are organized in the zones by the Council.